Hi Eric, welcome

I'm relatively new to this myself and, as I'm not not focusing on the Java
implementation, I can't help you with Java details much but I did read a
good article by Martin Fowler about the inversion of control/dependency
injection pattern [1].

There was also a recent telcon about the changes proposed to support the
recursive assembly model in Java so this would be a place where you could
look to find out how things might change going forward. Jim posted about
this [2].

Also have a go with the current code base and ask questions here or on the
IRC [3]

[1] http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/injection.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg03853.html
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/getinvolved.html