I can speak for the Tuscany C++ implementation.

In this version the data factory keeps a record of all types and their
properties. When the first
data object is created, the metadata becomes read-only, and properties can
no longer be
added to types.
The only way to add dynamic content to a type is to declare it as an open
type - in which case you can add any properties you like, but they apply
only to the instance which you are working with, and are not known to the
metadata.
getInstanceProperties gives you the list of all metadata properties plus all
the open ones, whilst getType().getProperties() gives only the properties
defined on the metadata.

regards,
Ed.