Hi Pete

   I took sometime to look at the C++ M1 Release candidate and I have the following feedback...
   Please keep in mind that my C++ skills is not one of my biggest strengths as of today, so, some feedback might be due to lack of involvement with C++ for couple of years...
   Also note that I didn't have a C++ DEV environment, so I was just running things from the binaries you posted.

   - In Tuscany Java, we have some sample script files to boot the Tuscany environment (http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/projectjava.html#Enviroment%20scripts). Should we have something similar for C++ environment ? I have created a sample one just to using for C++ M1 and could be used as a sample if people think this is a good idea.

   - Instructions on how to install Tuscany SCA CPP posted here (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/cpp/sca/INSTALL) says:
        - 5.a. Unzip the supplied zip file. set the TUSCANY_SCACPP variable to point to the 'deploy' directory in the unzipped directory tree.

        I can find the deploy directory in the c++ svn repository, but it's not available in the M1 release candidate. Is this just the directory the files were extracted ? If so, documentation needs clarification, otherwise M1 zip need to be checked.
        Trying to go a step ahead, I set this to the place i unzipped the files and looks like it accepted that :)

   - In order to start getting better results from the SCA Calculator sample program, I had to figure out the following items that were not mentioned in the INSTALL instructions

        - Need to add axis2c\lib directory to path as well... instructions only mention bin directory
        - Need the following runtime env dlls : msvcp60d.dll, msvcrtd.dll (my system only had the regular ones without the d)

   - After fixing the DLL issues, i found that the calculator sample app was expecting the following environment variable to be set :
        SystemConfigurationException
        TUSCANY_SCACPP_SYSTEM_ROOT environment variable not set

        I set that to the same value of  TUSCANY_SCACPP
        Do we need these 2 env variables ? What is the difference between TUSCANY_SCACPP and TUSCANY_SCACPP_SYSTEM_ROOT

   - Now I'm at the point I'm getting the following exception
        SystemConfigurationException
        Duplicate wire for reference: CalculatorDivideService

        Any workaround here ?

Other minor things

   - Couple files like : LICENSE, NOTICE, README all have no extensions, are these the way they are supposed to be ? The Java M1 had some of these files with the txt extension...
   - The SDO package have two readme with different contents on it (README and README.txt)

-- Luciano

"Pete Robbins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

07/05/2006 08:02 PM

Please respond to
tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org

tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
cc
Subject
C++ M1 Release Candidate

I have posted a candidate for the first C++ release here.

http://people.apache.org/~robbinspg/RC1

Would all interested parties take some time to review this so that we can
either re-spin the release or vote on it asap.

The website documentation is out of date and will be re-written to sync with
what is in the release. Hopefully this will be done tomorrow.

A Calculator sample is included which demonstrates deploying an SCA module,
component wiring, locating and invoking C++ service from
C++ component,  invoking from a C++ client, and exposing a service as a web
service using ws binding.

Release Summary
=============

Tuscany SCA C++ provides a runtime implementation for the Service Component
Architecture 0.9 specification, written in C++ and will currently support
C++
component implementation types. This is not yet a complete implementation
and
known restrictions are described below.

Supported SCA Assembly Model features
 *  All features are supported unless listed under the known restrictions
    below. See SCA Assembly Model specification.

Supported language bindings
 * Component implementations written in C++. See SCA Client and
   Implementation Model specification.
 * Component interfaces described by C++ classes. See SCA Client and
   Implementation Model specification.

Supported external service and entry point bindings
 * The web service binding is supported. This implementation will support
   web services which using document literal SOAP bindings conforming to
the
   WS-I basic profile (rpc/encoded is not yet supported).

Known restrictions
 * Subsystem: wiring, entry points and external services are not supported.
 * Local service interfaces cannot use overloaded operations (the SCA
   specification limits remote service interfaces to not using
overloaded operations).
 * Each WSDL definition for a web service binding must be in a single WSDL
document.
 * No load time validation of the deployed SCA application (run time
validation only).
 * No metadata API.
--
Pete