On Jul 27, 2006, at 9:53 AM, ant elder wrote:

One of the reasons I started this thread was to try to get a common
understanding about what everyone expects is required to become a Tuscany committer. Its hard to publicly say you think someone isn't ready yet, even on the private list, so a common understanding would mean nominations would
more likely get unanimous approval.

As Robert and Jim have said, I think nominating someone or supporting a nomination is a particularly personal thing. It is the kind of judgment made on a basis of trust formed by interaction over time and every person will make their decision on their own criteria.

In some ways this makes it hard for people to understand what it takes - people often look for hard and fast criteria such as a period of time, number of patches, working for a certain employer, whatever. Realization that things often are fuzzy is a significant step on the way.

I think the biggest thing required to become a committer is interaction with other community members - it is much easier for someone to make or support a nomination if they have an established relationship with the nominee.

Ways to do that include:
* active participation in discussions on the list
* frequent interaction with all members, committers or not
* submission of small, easily applied patches (little and often again)
* participation across the codebase (so different people are likely to pick up the patches)
* helping with the un-cool stuff
and many, many others

--
Jeremy