On Jul 31, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

On Jul 30, 2006, at 6:33 PM, Jim Marino wrote:

On Jul 30, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

On Jul 30, 2006, at 2:55 PM, ant elder wrote:

What about the dependencies of the extension? It looks like right now all the dependency jars still have to go in the boot directory and only the
extension in the extension directory. Is that what you intend?

The spec does not define way to specify the classpath for a composite so for now everything has to be bundled in it on in a parent classloader (and the boot classloader is the parent to the each of the extension composites).

The jar classpath will still work so if you provide a Class-Path entry in the manifest dependencies specified there should be found.

Longer term I think we need a way to define a classpath in the composite. I had a quick discussion a while ago with Oisin about using a Maven repository to hold SCA artifacts and perhaps we can use that here. I can think of two ways we could allow users to do this:

For system services I think this is fine but I wouldn't want to require this of applications.

I don't see the distinction here. We are saying that system services are just composites and this is a way of associating resources with a composite (specifically Java class files) - why would there be any difference?

An end user application developer could write some type of library that gets reused by different composites. We should have a mechanism that supports this without resorting to maven. I think we should have some type of resolver abstraction, one implementation being a maven downloader.

There are a couple of other options we could also provide, based off of OSGi semantics:

1. Allow a jar to specify its dependencies using "pure" OSGi manifest entries when the composite is packaged as a bundle and deployed to an OSGI environment 2. Allow the SCDL to specify dependencies using OSGI semantics. These would then be "baked" down to whatever packaging the host environment supported, perhaps through a pre-deploy step 3.As part of #2, have a way to specify a maven bundle and have the pre-deployer pul it from maven and repackage it.

Generally I don't like pre-packagers but that may be the price people have to pay for deploying on host environments with problematic classloading semantics - e.g. J2EE app servers. In an OSGi or jar launcher environment, things should just work without a predeploy step.

These seem like alternatives. If the user wants to use OSGi semantics then this would be a way to support them. However, there are a lot of things out there that do not have OSGi manifests and we need to be able to support them two.

That's what #2 would be used for as it is not dependent on OSGi artifacts such as bundles. A SCDL artifact would specify the dependencies and they could be resolved to whatever physical packaging the host platform supports/

Also, these only work if the composite is packaged as a bundle and I think that it's important to allow people to deploy composites that are simple XML SCDL files (no archive involved). That means we need a way in the SCDL to be able to specify what the dependencies are.

#2 could also work with a file system through some type of "custom resolver" mentioned above.

Jim

--
Jeremy