Well you can construct expressions in gdb and have them execute but its not
as convenient as having the code do it for you. Taking both points of view
on board how about a function that you can call on the data object that
prints its contents out that is only compiled in for debug, i.e. subject of
a #define. Removes the need for the unitiated to go searching for the util
method but doesn't rely on the data object keeping a string representation
up to date on every change.