I'm back from a long-ish vacation and I'm catching up with all the
postings to the list while I've been gone.  I'm starting with this
topic as it is a subject of particular interest to me.

I think we need samples to address the following types of users:
1. Technology evaluators and prospective users who want to quickly
   understand what Tuscany is, what it can do for them and
   their business, and whether to spend more time investigating
   it in more detail.
2. Application and service developers who have decided that Tuscany
   is relevant to their needs and want to learn how to use it to
   develop code.
3. Extension developers who want to create extensions to Tuscany.
4. Runtime developers who want to enhance the capabilities of the
   Tuscany runtime.

I think we need samples (potentially of different kinds) to cover
people in these categories.  Here's a stab at the sample requirements
for each of the categories:
1. Get up and running quickly with a minimum of setup, familarity,
   prereqs, dependencies, or prior knowledge.  Must be possible to
   see something working within 5 to 10 minutes.  Sample content
   should demonstrate the value proposition of SCA and introduce
   the purpose and value of SDO and DAS.  The user isn't looking to
   write code, but does want to go through a development/deployment
   process in order to understand the end-to-end process of
   development, deployment and execution.
2. Help developers to quickly get productive with Tuscany as an
   environment in which they can write and/or integrate their own code.
   Need to know how to develop/test/debug with Tuscany using their
   favourite IDE and build environment.  Samples should illustrate
   how to build application code on top of Tuscany, using the
   Tuscany APIs.
3. Similar to #2, but with samples focusing on using the Tuscany SPIs
   as extension points to the core runtime.
4. Similar to #3, but showing more of the inner workings of the
   Tuscany runtime.  A well-chosen selection of unit tests would
   be very suitable.

For #1, a fast start is essential.  This could be a fully bundled
"out of the box" environment, or very simple instructions for how to
download and configure any necessary prereqs.  Whichever approach
is chosen, the result will be a standard "taster" environment with
minimal or no customization.

For #2, the focus is much more on customization to suit the developer's
preferred environment, perhaps starting from a number of predefined
standard templates.

For #3 and #4, a custom-build approach to put together the desired
combination of Tuscany components makes most sense.

What do others think about these categorizations and the requirements
for samples that each of them would have?