k, that makes sense.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Boynes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:05 PM
To: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Server profiles

On Jan 4, 2007, at 7:31 AM, Meeraj Kunnumpurath wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> On having the system.scdl in the etc directory ..
>
> I am assuming it is the system.scdl for the server itself, rather than

> the runtime that is lauched by the server? Each runtime that is
> launched through the startRuntime managed operation on the server will

> have its own system.scdl, wherever it is stored as long it is
> available to the boot classloader of the runtime?

I was thinking that each profile (and the system.scdl it contains) would
apply to a runtime. The server agent would not need one as it does not
contain a system component tree. The startRuntime operation would take
the name of a profile and that would be used to start the runtime.

The server command could be enhanced to take an optional list of
profiles to start, something like:

$ server start server otherProfile yetAnother

> Would this mean the distro would be something like
>
> /install -> Root installer directory
> /install/launcher -> Launcher root
> /install/launcher/etc -> Launcher runtime properties and system scdl
> /install/launcher/boot -> Launcher boot libraries /install/server ->
> Server root /install/server/etc -> Server runtime properties and
> system scdl /install/server/boot -> Server boot libraries
> /install/server/runtime-x -> Runtime x root
> /install/server/runtime-x/etc -> Runtime x runtime.properties and
> system scdl /install/server/runtime-x/etc/boot -> Runtime x boot
> libraries /install/server/runtime-y -> Runtime y root
> /install/server/runtime-y/etc -> Runtime y runtime.properties and
> system scdl /install/server/runtime-y/etc/boot -> Runtime y boot
> libraries

I was thinking instead:

/install
/install/bin/launcher.jar
/install/bin/server.jar
/install/lib/ [ jars needed by launcher, server commands]
/install/profiles/launcher/etc/runtime.properties
/install/profiles/launcher/etc/system.scdl
/install/profiles/launcher/boot/ [ jars for launcher runtime classloader
] /install/profiles/server/etc/...
/install/profiles/server/boot/...
/install/profiles/otherProfile/etc/...
/install/profiles/otherProfile/boot/...
/install/profiles/yetAnother/etc/...
/install/profiles/yetAnother/boot/...
/install/profiles/...

--
Jeremy

This message has been checked for all email viruses by MessageLabs.

    You can find us at www.voca.com

This communication is confidential and intended for
the exclusive use of the addressee only. You should
not disclose its contents to any other person.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify
the sender named above immediately.

Registered in England, No 1023742,
Registered Office: Voca Limited
Drake House, Three Rivers Court,
Homestead Road, Rickmansworth,
Hertfordshire, WD3 1FX

This message has been checked for all email viruses by MessageLabs.