Hi,

I have been looking at adding runtime id to RuntimeInfo. I think there
may be some scope for refactoring the current classes and interfaces
used for realising runtime info. The core abstraction is the RuntimeInfo
interface in host-api with a specialized interface StandaloneRuntimeInfo
in standalone-host-api. The implementations include Standalone, Launcher
and Web runtime infos in addition to some of the mock ones used in
testing. Some of the methods defined in the RuntimeInfo interface is not
supported by the launcher and webapp runtime infos. Also, some of the
operations in the core abstractions like getInstallDirectory,
getBaseUrl, getApplicationDirectory can be refined further, I guess.

I think there are two broad categories of runtime info, client runtime
infos and server runtime infos. The server ones include any runtime that
stays up running and participate in a standalone or federated logical
assembly. These will include webapp, standalone tuscany server etc.
Properties like domain, runtime id etc are relavant to them. However,
for client runtimes like launcher that runs a specific application and
exits, some of these properties may not be relavant. However, there may
be common abstractions like profiles etc that are relavant for both
client and server runtimes.

I am planning to do some work around this area in conjunction with the
stuff I am doing on federation and discovery. It would be great to know
if others have any thoughts on refining the runtime info abstractions.

Many thanks
Meeraj

    You can find us at www.voca.com

This communication is confidential and intended for
the exclusive use of the addressee only. You should
not disclose its contents to any other person.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify
the sender named above immediately.

Registered in England, No 1023742,
Registered Office: Voca Limited
Drake House, Three Rivers Court,
Homestead Road, Rickmansworth,
Hertfordshire, WD3 1FX

This message has been checked for all email viruses by MessageLabs.