I disagree that this proved unworkable, could you give some concrete
examples of how you think its been unworkable so we can way those against
the benefits a full top-level build provides?
Don't you remember all of the build breaks we had in the past or the issues we had with the releases? Also, the top-down build forces all extensions to be on the same level of kernel.

AFAICT the full top-level
build is the only way people have found very easy to use so far.
To be more accurate, it's the only way people working for a specific vendor have found easy. Others who don't work for that vendor are not having problems.

It works
just fine in the integration branch.

If people don't want to to a full build
> from the top they can ignore the top-level pom.xml.
What is wrong with Jeremy's proposal to use assemblies?

He didn't give much detail, and hasn't replied when i asked for more about
what he was proposing (unless I missed the email?)

I thought he explained it pretty well. I'd suggest looking at the Maven manual (or book) for more detail if necessary.

Modules can still be
> released individually or in smaller groups with any specific
> version name as
> desired, but build the trunk from the top gets all the modules
> built with
> the latest code all using the latest SNAPSHOT version name as this
> is what
> people want and expect.

So if I have an extension that works off 2.0 kernel only and the
kernel in trunk is at 3.0 what happens? How does that get built and
released? Maybe you can get this setup in the integration branch for
us to look at?

Thats easy, if that's the case then it would not be part of the full build. This wouldn't be the usual case for most extensions but for those that want to be back level then not having them part of the full build is fine and no
worse than the current situation.
So then we don't really have a top-down build at all. I think you will find Jeremy's approach the best way to handle this.

Jim