I'd prefer to focus on getting our maven build working smoothness first.

On 4/3/07, Bert Lamb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My gut tells me there has to be a way to make our maven build easier
than it is right now, and I think we are on track to do that.  So if
we can make the maven build simple enough to run then that should be
good enough, no?

If, however, we can't get to the point where you can just run "mvn
install" to build a sample, then I think we could investigate simpler
ant scripts.

-Bert

On 4/3/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [snip]
> Bert Lamb wrote:
> > I agree with almost all of this
>
> Great :)
>
> > except the part about having ant and
> > maven builds, this sounds like the beginning of a dual maintenance rat
> > hole that I doubt we want to go down.
>
> Here is why I was proposing an Ant build for the samples:
> - We had this in M1, our samples were initially only built with Maven
> but then we thought that it would simpler for our users to be able to
> build the samples with just Ant. IIRC our M1 release included Ant
> scripts for the samples.
> - We wanted to have Ant scripts in M2 (see [1] and [2]) but they
> eventually didn't make it to the actual release distribution.
>
> The idea is to help Ant users build our samples. Also, I'd like to make
> sure that our runtime story is not too tied to Maven and that it's
> actually convenient to build SCA/Tuscany applications with something
> else than Maven. On the other hand we need to show how to build some
> samples with Maven as well. Other projects like Axis2 for example have
> adopted a similar approach. They build their runtime with Maven, and
> their samples with Ant.
>
> On the other hand, I agree with you about the dual maintenance rat
> hole... I don't want dual maintenance either. To avoid dual maintenance
> maybe we could have the pom.xml just call the ant script? or have some
> samples built with Ant, some with Maven? or... I'm also happy to not
> worry about building samples with Ant for now if people think that it's
> not useful, I don't particularly like writing build scripts :)
>
> What do people think?
>
> [1]

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200611.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]