I think its actually a bug in the jsonrpc binding that its using the
component self reference, but that aside, this still seems odd to me. Just
because a particular binding is on a service how can it be sure that that
same binding will work as a reference?  Some  binding's don't support
references, some have different attributes for services or references, on
some binding's the URI may include the reference name so this would end up
including $self$ in the URI.

  ...ant