On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM, ant elder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM, ant elder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > However this all fell apart as the
> > > them.
> whole

> > tomcat
> > > >

> > > How about also C) how to fix Axis2 to handle redirects? Is it some
> > > fundamental problem or just a bug which we could try to fix?
> > >
> > >   ...ant
> > >

> > I didn't consider C) base on this post
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg33803.html
> >
> > Simon
> >

> Ok, and the JIRA that was raised from that is
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2809. Not sure I agree it
> shouldn't be supported though so it may be worth reopening that. There's
> the
> case when WS-Addressing is not being used, and even if it is then it
> should
> be possible to just update the WSA TO header while processing the
> redirect.
> There's some doc on how to support redirects with the http client that
> axis2
> uses at http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/redirects.html. Note that CXF
> does support redirects, see the client AutoRedirect option -
> http://cwiki.apache.org/CXF20DOC/client-http-transport.html.
>
> Still, seems like your options A or B may be quicker to get done :)
>

>   ...ant

You may be right that it's a sensible thing for Axis to do. However my
adoption of the old tomcat balancer webapp and hence the redirect approach
was really a hack to allow me to fire all this up automatically. Had it
worked I would have put a big banner in the README saying don't set your
load balancing up like this and pointing off to how to do it with Apache.
You wouldn't run really load balancing like this. Indeed the balancer webapp
is no longer shipped with tomcat 6. Hence  It's not sensible to chase a
change through Axis just to get a hack to work for us that makes a demo
easier.

As it turns out it the hack doesn't work so we are forced to do it properly
(ish). This is probably better in the long run as we don't have to explain
why people should do as we say and not as we do.