Rajini Sivaram wrote:
At the moment, itest/osgi-tuscany generates a manifest jar file called
tuscany-sca-manifest.jar  using a copy of the pom in distribution. I was
hoping that we could use a single jar for both OSGi and non-OSGi. The list
of virtual 3rd party bundles to be installed and the location of their plain
jar files is based on the Class-Path entry in this tuscany-sca-manifest.jar.
I do understand that this jar doesn't work in Eclipse, but I am not sure
what we gain by having an additional jar for OSGi rather than reuse the jar
which is already in distribution. Are we planning to get rid of
tuscany-sca-manifest.jar in distribution?

Here's what really puzzles me:

a) We want to use OSGi as it allows us to cut Tuscany in self contained and isolated bundle JARs, enables us to pick the right subsets of JARs for a particular environment, can even enable us to combine different levels of dependency JARs when required by our extensions.

b) But now all the info for all the dependency JARs is mashed in a single tuscany-sca-manifest.jar, and frozen in that 'manifest' JAR when we build the Tuscany distribution.

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding how to reconcile (a) and (b).

Can't it just be much simpler than that?
- 1 bundle per dependency JAR
- containing the OSGi metadata describing that JAR and what it actually imports/exports?

This is the approach that SpringSource for example seems to have chosen for they application platform OSGi repository. IMHO they are on the right path with this.