Raymond Feng wrote:
Hi,

To improve the Tuscany databinding framework for simplicity and flexibility, I come out a list of potential TODOs. Your feedback/ideas/help will be very welcome.

That's a nice list, I marked the items I feel really important with +1 and some comments.

* Refine/simplify the databinding SPIs (for better extensibility and consumeablity)

+1 to simplify and crisp-up some of the concepts and the interfaces that represent them, for example IIRC a databinding can have an id, a name, an alias, I'd suggest to just have an id :)

* Make the databinding framework easy to use as a utility in addtion to an interceptor (Ideally, other projects can leverage this framework without pulling into the whole tuscany runtime. I think we are very close.)

+1 I remember I needed that in the ATOM binding. Other bindings could leverage that too.

* Use MIME types to model the databinding ids (for example, application/xml, application/x-java-serialized-object, image/jpeg) * Support MIME based binary data types (incuding the xmime extensions in WSDL/XSD) * Improve the performance of key transformers (such as JAXB <--> AXIOM, we could reuse some JAXB code from Axis2 JAXWS support)

+1 that's really really important. I can summarize the most annoying problems I've seen with SOA runtimes the last few years as follows:

- I have this big giant XSD that my developers dreamed up and when I try to use it and XML instances of it the whole JVM blows up

- Looks like my business object is copied and converted between XML and 8 different forms of Java databindings approx. 37 times per transaction, is there any way to improve that? :)

* Better support for collective/aggregate data types such as java.util.Collection

+1 and also I'd add support for Java Generics as that's becoming a common way of parameterizing generic business interface patterns.

* Support annotations of a java type (for example, an InputStream can be used to contain different formats of data) to further constrain the data type (We could use the JAXB annotation for this purpose)

* Find better ways to represent the databinding requirements for bindings which weakly-typed message structure (no well-defined wire format) such as JMS Message or JCA Record

For that one, can you say a bit more about the scenario and the issues with the current databinding framework?

* More and better documents