ant elder wrote:
I was thinking about a branch to make it clear that it was shared and that
this work was open to all, but I'm also happy to see that work start in
shared sandboxes.

I guess from whats been said so far then I'd favour using sandboxes
for now for specific work that really can't be done in trunk, and
where ever possible continue to use trunk to do what can be done there
(looking at that list of examples i think we could find ways to do a
lot in trunk).

I also think that many of these could be done in trunk.  It would
be good to talk about each of these and come to a conclusion on
what the options are for a solution, and whether or not these
proposed options can be implemented in trunk.