Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
Radim Kolarik wrote:
Hi Sebastien,

I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "level" of
Tuscany? We used the same build and same version - 1.0-incubating, if
that is the question...

Yes that was the question :) I just wanted to know which Tuscany version you were using and make sure that you were using the same version in both cases.

One more question, which Maven version are you using?

We used exactly the same build scripts, same version, but suddenly the
jar started to appear in the built WAR. I would bet that the JAR is
now appearing in calculator example as well, meaning it won't run.
About two weeks ago, the JAR was not there...

I'll try the Tuscany 1.0 release later today, but can already confirm that I am able to reproduce the problem with the Tuscany trunk with Maven 2.0.7.

I'll investigate the Maven dependency analysis report to see where this new dependency on servlet-api is coming from...

Here's what I found after digging into the Maven POM files and the SVN change history, an unfortunate sequence of events.

The dependency on servlet-api-2.3 is coming from an Apache Rampart module. See rampart-project-1.3.pom [1].

In Tuscany revision r576569 [2] (between Tuscany 1.0 RC1 and RC2) we made a change to remove the dependency on rampart-project-1.3 as it was a snapshot at the time (and we did not want any snapshots in the release).

However we left a dependency on rampart-core-1.3.jar, which was published on ibiblio.org but did not have a Maven POM published with it (from what I see in an archive of my Maven repository from that time, only the JAR file and an MD5 signature seemed to have been published).

On Oct 4th, a Maven POM for rampart-core.1.3.jar was published on ibiblio.org [3]. That POM declared a dependency on the rampart-project-1.3, bringing back rampart-project-1.3.pom and the dependency on servlet-api-2.3.jar.

To summarize:
- nothing changed in the published Tuscany 1.0 artifacts
- nothing changed in the Rampart 1.3 artifacts published on ibiblio.org
- the publication of rampart-core-1.3.pom at [3] on Oct 4th suddenly caused that new dependency on servlet-2.3.api.jar.

So here's the trap we fell into: A dependency on a JAR published on the ibiblio.org Maven repository not accompanied by a Maven POM can break us later if somebody publishes a POM that adds transitive some dependencies for example... That's tricky.

I'm going to fix the Tuscany trunk to exclude servlet-api-2.3.jar. Our next release should include that fix (BTW we've committed a number of fixes on top of 1.0 recently and I'm starting to think that we should have another release soon). Are you OK with the exclusion workaround you have found for now until the next release?

[1] http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/org/apache/rampart/rampart-project/1.3/rampart-project-1.3.pom [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-commits/200709.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED] [3] http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/org/apache/rampart/rampart-core/1.3/

--
Jean-Sebastien