On 10/16/06, Kent Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> wesley chun wrote:
> >>From what I understand, Python 3000 is going to break backwards
> >> compatibility. However, I think I read that someone is writing a utility
> >> that will translate your pre-Python 3000 code to Python 3000 code.
> >

> > this will mainly be side effects or for features that are deprecated
> > (sufficient notice is being given for those on the hit list).  as with
> > most Python releases, they will try as best they can to keep old
> > programs running.  in other words, they're not "starting from
> > scratch."  your simple Python scripts that don't involve exotic
> > constructs and calls should still work for the most part.
>
> Although it is true that Python 3000 is not starting from scratch, I
> think you are overstating the degree of backward compatibility that is
> striven for. For example PEP 3000 says,
>
> "Python 3000 will break backwards compatibility. There is no requirement
> that Python 2.9 code will run unmodified on Python 3.0.

yeah, i understand that.  this is just the vibe i got from Guido's
Python 3000 talk at OSCON several months ago.  there is no requirement
thus no guarantee for any script to work, but he did say that there
will be no *radical* changes.  loops and conditionals will be the
same, dict.keys still needs (), etc. still, for any medium or moderate
script, it probably won't run without some tweaks.