I am trying to use this so maybe no one has to reply... sorry to inconvenience anyone. I got it from Google but did not copy his name and cannot give my thanks to original author, sorry.

import subprocess
from win32event import WaitForSingleObject, WAIT_TIMEOUT
from win32api import TerminateProcess

def execute_and_wait(args, timeout=None):
"""Execute a command and wait until termination. If timeout elapses and still not finished, kill it.
   args: list containing program and arguments, or a single string.
   timeout: maximum time to wait, in ms, or None.
   """

   p = subprocess.Popen(args)
   if timeout:
       ret = WaitForSingleObject(p._handle, timeout)
       if ret==WAIT_TIMEOUT:
           TerminateProcess(p._handle, 1)
           return None
   return p.wait()

ret = execute_and_wait(["notepad", "c:\\BuyLiveHit.ahk"], 5000)
print "ret=",ret