On 14/07/2010 19:34, Alan Gauld wrote:

"Christian Witts" <cwi...@compuscan.co.za> wrote

You need a display function that can strip out the nulls as needed.
A simple list comprehension or generator expression would work
in this case:
    print ' '.join(str(field) for field in data if field is not 'None')

The problem with that is if you're relying on a set delimiter you are removing elements so you would be better served by doing `str(field) if field != None else '' for field in record`

True, although in this case we do seem to have a fixed condition
since it's the database's representation of null but I originally didn't
notice the quotes around None. When I fixed that I should have
changed is to equals..

    print ' '.join(str(field) for field in data if field != 'None')

But your modification confuses me. can you explain?
What would the print line look like?

Alan G.

I prefer not to use a space delimiter, generally a pipe |, so the output would look a lot like 104||Sylvester||Evans||527-9210 Prion Av.|Liberal|VT|24742|1-135-197-1139|vehicula.pellentes...@idmollis.edu|2010-07-13 22:52:50|2010-07-13 22:52:50

The reason I suggested that usage instead is because Monte said
>>> having the 'None' values omitted really messed with the list order which I was depending on

So if you're wanting to create a new list which removes the Nones but still keeps the same indexing it would be the way to do it, imho.

--
Kind Regards,
Christian Witts