On 2012/01/31 06:50 AM, Michael Lewis wrote:
I am trying to do a simple test but am not sure how to get around ASCII conversion of characters. I want to pass in y have the function test to see if y is an integer and print out a value if that integer satisfies the if statement. However, if I pass in a string, it's converted to ASCII and will still satisfy the if statement and print out value. How do I ensure that a string is caught as a ValueError instead of being converted?

def TestY(y):
    try:
        y = int(y)
    except ValueError:
        pass
    if y < -1 or y > 1:
        value = 82
        print value
    else:
        pass

--
Michael J. Lewis
mjole...@gmail.com <mailto:mjole...@gmail.com>

If you just want to test if `y` is an integer you can do so with `type(y) == int`, and to get the ASCII value of a character you can use `ord` like `ord('a') == 97`. And how to avoid your ValueError with a bad conversion, do your type checking before hand.

Hope that helps.
--

Christian Witts
Python Developer