On 2012/04/12 06:42 AM, john moore wrote:
Hello Pyhton World,

I'm new at this and was wondering how I create a number of user specified lists?

Example:

"How many list would you like to create?"
User inputs 5
creates five lists,
list1 []
list2 []
list3 []
list4 []
list5 []

I can create one with append, but I don't know how to loop it to create five
different named list..

You can use vars() to create the variables on the fly. vars() is just a dictionary containing the variable name as the key, and the data as the value so you can do `vars()['list1'] = []` and it's easy enough to create them en masse

# Set the start to 1, and add 1 to what the user inputted
# as range/xrange doesn't include the top number
for i in xrange(1, user_input + 1):
    vars()['list%s' % i] = []

Hope that helps.
--