On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Sean Carolan <scaro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Given that most folks on this list are only learning Python its pretty
>> unlikely that they are building bespoke RPMs...
>>
>> You might find more experience of RPM building on the general Python
>> mailing list/newsgroup.
>

> Sorry 'bout that.  I'll follow up with the bug report and possibly the
> general list as well.

FWIW, I tried the same thing with Python 3 sources on Fedora 18, and
got the same error as you.

But, where did you get the idea that you could build Python RPMs using
$python setup.py bdist_rpm ? I thought that was only limited to
building RPMs for python packages (including extensions), but not the
Python interpreter itself. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Okay, here is something for you to try in the meantime. Download the
Python 2.7 SRPM (source RPM) from
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=130. May be
the F17 version.
Extract it to get the source files, patches and the SPEC file.

If you are familiar with building RPM packages by hand, please try
building it like any other package. That is, by copying the .spec file
to SPECS and the .patch, .xz and other files in SOURCES and then doing
rpmbuild -ba python.spec from the SPECS directory. Oh yes, please
install the dependencies for building the package first by doing,
yum-builddep <your SRPM location> before doing the build.

It seems like it built the RPMs alright on my laptop. See if that helps.

Best,
Amit.

--
http://amitsaha.github.com/