On Thu, Apr 25, 2013, Gareth Allen wrote:

>   Hi all,
>   I'm trying to get the output of a command and split it into a list that
>   I can process.  What is the best way to go about doing this? In bash I
>   would use tools like grep, sed awk etc.

The old way to do this uses os.popen

import os

fh = os.popen('ifconfig')
for line in fh:
        # scan line here

The more modern way to handle this is using the subprocess module
with something like:

from subprocess import PIPE, Popen
fh = Popen('ifconfig', stdout=PIPE).stdout

Bill
--
INTERNET:   b...@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him what he asks
for, instead of what he needs.  This is very strong medicine, and is
normally only required once.
    -- The Consultant's Curse: