On 22/07/15 08:07, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
On 21/07/15 21:52, Alan Gauld wrote:
On 21/07/15 08:15, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
On 21/07/15 17:02, Alan Gauld wrote:
On 21/07/15 06:05, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
I am working my way through Alan Gauld's tutorial and have just
started
the section on GUI. The windows that are created look odd with no
title
bar or maximise, minimise or close window button.

The simplest program that should show the icons is:

 >>> import Tkinter
 >>> top = Tkinter.Tk()
 >>> top.mainloop()

What do you  see when you type just those lines at
the >>> prompt?

All I get is a white square, with no way to close without using kill

I have done a bit of tinkering and have found that it is only my user
account that behaves this way.

OK, No idea why that would be happening but it may be a Unity
setting - I use Mint/Cinnamon  because I hated Unity...

Can you try logging out and back in using a different desktop - say XFCE
and see if that
changes anything. That will hopefully narrow it down to a Unity v User
settings issue.

In either case it will probably be an issue for another forum since its
unlikely to be
a Python issue, but please keep me in the loop since it might affect
other tutorial
users.

Thanks Alan, other desktops allow correct operation. Only Unity 3D has
the fault, Unity-2D works fine. I had not considered that the desktop
could be the problem. I hope to find the offending file or setting in
the Unity configuration, as I would prefer to know how to fix this if I
need to in the future. A clean install and restore isn't an option
because my backup also has the offending error :( I have narrowed it
down to 1 machine, so a little detective work should identify the
offending file.

Problem solved.
Unity settings are stored using GConf.
Resetting Unity with the following:

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/

then log out and back in.
This fixed a few other mysteries at the same time (some windows could not be moved)