On 23/08/15 18:13, Laura Creighton wrote:
In a message of Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:09:41 +1000, Chris Roy-Smith writes:
On 22/08/15 23:32, Alan Gauld wrote:
On 22/08/15 11:43, Laura Creighton wrote:

How can I filter out these hidden directories?
Help(tkFileDialog) doesn't help me as it just shows **options, but
doesn't show what these options might be.

tix (tkinter extensions) https://wiki.python.org/moin/Tix
have some more file dialogs, so maybe there is joy there.

There is a FileSelectDialog in Tix that has a dircmd option
according to the Tix documentation.

However, I've played about with it and can't figure out how
to make it work!

There is also allegedly a 'hidden' check-box subwidget
that controls whether hidden files are shown. Again I
couldn't find how to access this.

But maybe some questions on a Tix (or Tk) forum might
get more help? Once you know how to do it in native
Tcl/Tk/Tix you can usually figure out how to do it
in Python.

Thanks for the Tcl tk hint, so I searched for info for tcl tk.
Unfortunately the options appear to be the same as offered by tkinter. I
had hoped that the cause of my problem would be that I'm still to learn
that bit ;)

No, the problem is that the tk widget is badly designed.  Not only is
there only minimal pattern support matching, but there is no way to
subclass the thing and feed it your own list of file and directory
names.  It really is a case of "Do not open.  No user-servicable
parts to be found within." which is frustrating.

Laura

Thanks Laura,
I don't use idle but wondered how it handled hidden directories, and found that it also shows them. I guess I'll have to be inconsistent using the title bar to warn users and trap inappropriate selections sending the user back to try again. I can only assume that windows users don't get this problem.

Do any of the other graphical packages avoid this problem? I guess I should try the appropriate news groups.

Chris