On 07/09/2016 01:02 PM, eryk sun wrote:
On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Ken G. <beachkid...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi: In gradually moving over my Python programs (2.7.6) to Windows 10 and
using Geany 1.27 to modify or write up a program there, it is noted that
whenever I typed in a quote (') or double quote ("), Windows 10 File
Explorer opens up. I end up closing it by typing ALT-F4 to resume typing as
before. Is there a way to prevent the File Explorer from opening up whenever
I use a quote or double quote? Is there another key(s) that does weird thing
in Windows 10? Thanks.
The single/double quote key isn't a standard hotkey in any version of
Windows. That would be insane. If this is just happening in Geany,
check its keybindings preferences. Otherwise, check that you're using
the right keyboard layout and that you don't have any programs (or
malware) that's registering a global hotkey.

For example, here's a simple script that registers the single quote
(US keyboard layout) as a global hotkey to open the desktop in
Explorer:

     #! /usr/bin/python3
     import os
     import ctypes
     from ctypes import wintypes

     user32 = ctypes.WinDLL('user32')

     WM_HOTKEY = 0x0312
     MOD_NOREPEAT = 0x4000
     VK_OEM_7 = 0xDE # US layout, single/double quote

     hotkey_id = 1
     if user32.RegisterHotKey(None, hotkey_id, MOD_NOREPEAT, VK_OEM_7):
         print('Hotkey "\'" registered.')
         msg = wintypes.MSG()
         count = 0
         while (count < 3 and
                user32.GetMessageW(ctypes.byref(msg), None, 0, 0)):
             if msg.message == WM_HOTKEY and msg.wParam == hotkey_id:
                 count += 1
                 print('Hotkey received.')
                 os.startfile('shell:Desktop')

Thank you for the responses. As it just turned out, it was the keyboard sending out a faulty signal for the quote and double quote to the computer. I switched keyboard and there was no opening of the File Explorer when sending quote and double quote using Geany. Again, thanks.

Ken