> I have written a several Python scripts to collect data from external
> sources (an email account and an sftp site).
>
> In development I run the scripts from IDLE or the command line and can view
> the output of various print statements in the scripts which helps me to
> monitor progress and confirm correct operation.
>
> However, in production I will be running the scripts via Cron.
>
> Is there a recommended/ elegant way to collect this output on the fly for
> later review/ processing.
>
> Previously I have written bash scripts simply redirecting the standard
> output to a text file and emailed this back to myself but I would like to
> do this directly within Python rather than having to wrap the Python script
> in a bash script.
>
> Thanks, Leo.

Hi,

There are two task here: as You wrote, firstly log must be written to files

You could use the logging subsystem for this purpose
https://docs.python.org/3/library/logging.html

The second is to collect it and do someting.
To do this You can use for example the scedule module
https://docs.python.org/3/library/sched.html

BR,
George