On 30/07/17 23:22, George Sconyers via Tutor wrote:
> ...looking for a recommended compiler for an Ubuntu environment.

In programming precision is everything.

You are not in fact looking for a compiler, you are
looking for a development environment or IDE.

A compiler takes source code and produces executable
machine code. C-Python does not have such a thing
(it uses an interpreter to translate the code at runtime)
although you an get one for the Java based Jython.
But that's not really what you are asking for...

> ...using gedit but don't get the benefit of auto-indentation > and color
> coding of key words.

These are feature of the editor (usually a component of an IDE)
- and gedit can do the syntax colouring, I'm not sure about the
auto-indent... But rather than use gedit I suggest you use
IDLE which is a simple but useful Python IDE built in Python.

> ...something that facilitates debuggig and stepping through code.

IDLE does all of the above.

You can get it via the Ubuntu software manager or Synaptic or apt-get...
Make sure you get the right version for your Python version

There are many other IDEs for Python, right up to professional tools
like Eclipse and Netbeans but IDLE is a good starting point. And
there are lots of YouTube videos to get you started.

HTH
--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site