It was my understanding that using a virtual environment kept everything isolated in that environment. So I was surprised when I got the following error message.

(env) jfb@jims-mint18 ~ $

File "/home/jfb/EVs/env/lib/python3.5/site-packages/selenium/webdriver/remote/", line 528, in _request
    resp =, timeout=self._timeout)

  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/urllib/", line 466, in open
    response = self._open(req, data)

I snipped most of the error msg because for the purpose of this question I am not interested in them. I tried something that I did not think would work and it did not.

I am wondering why the path for the first line and every line above it is /home/jfb/EVs/env and the second line and everything after is is

I didn't think anything from my system python would be involved if I started from a virtual environment.

Regards,  Jim

Tutor maillist  -