On 07/14/2018 06:42 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
On 14/07/18 22:51, boB Stepp wrote:

Linux Mint 19 comes with Python 3.6.5 pre-installed.  However, my son
and I are working on a couple of things together, and decided to use
the latest bugfix releases of Python 3.6 for them.  I would not think
that upgrading from 3.6.5 to 3.6.6 would break anything in my system

Probably not but do you really need that last dot release?
Do you know for sure there is anything in it that will affect
your code? If not I'd just stay on 3.6.5....

Personally, although I have 3.6.5 installed, my default v3
is 3.5.4.

If you really need 3.6.6 then your best bet is to locate a
deb package that somebody has created, otherwise building
from source is about the only option.

Bob,

If you look you might find a PPA that has packaged it. I installed python 3.6.5 (no help to you) on Mint 18 from here: https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+archive/ubuntu/python-3.6'.

Maybe you can find one that does 3.6.6 or ask Jonathon if he intends to package 3.6.6. Whatever you do I would suggest you install it in a virtual environment, especially if you are going to be experimenting with a lot of libraries. If you use a virtual environment you don't have to worry about breaking your system python.

regards,  Jim