On 09/08/2018 08:35 PM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
On September 8, 2018 5:46:46 PM MDT, Jim <jf_byr...@comcast.net> wrote:
On 09/08/2018 05:26 PM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
On 09/07/2018 03:10 PM, Jim wrote:
Mint 18.1
System python3 3.5.2

Python3-uno is available to the system python3. How can I make it
available to python 3.6.5 in a virtual environment I installed using
venv?

with your virtualenv activated, just install it.

python -m pip install uno

My bad, I did not explain what python3-uno does. It is a system package

that lets python interact with libreoffice. The uno that pip installs
is
a html generator.

I used apt to install python3-uno on my system. System python3 can use
it and the python 3.5 in one of my virtual environments can use it.
Python 3.6 in my other virtual environment cannot access it.

So to re-phrase my question. Python3-uno is installed on my system what

do I need to do to get python 3.6 in a virtual environment to use it?

Maybe I am missing something obvious. With all the advice given to use
virtual environments I would think that this problem has come up, but
googling did not produce a solution.

Regards,  Jim
python

ok, awkward naming issue. try openoffice-python instead?

Unfortunately it produces the same result, no module uno found. I think all of the packages on pipy need the uno module to be installed to function.

When I installed python3-uno using apt it was installed at /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/uno.py. I have python 3.5 installed in a virtual environment and it can load the uno module. I have python 3.6 installed in virtual environment and it cannot load the uno module.

Ok, I think I have solved it. Looking at the site-packages folder in the 3.5 virtual environment shows uno.py and unohelper.py. In the 3.6 virtual environment they are missing. Simply putting a copy of them in the python3.6 site-packages folder allows me to import uno and run a program that depends on importing uno.

I don't know if they should have been put there when I installed the 3.6 virtual environment or if I did something wrong when I installed it, but now it works.

Mats, thanks for all your help.

Regards,  Jim