Hi Glen,

I feel like I would be able to offer you some help but you haven't
provided precise enough information for me to know exactly what your
problem is.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 00:02, Glenn Schultz via Tutor <tutor@python.org> wrote:

> I have a package that I am working on.  I am using Pycharm.  The directories
> are set up correctly.
> In my frameworks I have

I guess "frameworks" is a reference to OSX frameworks... Are you using
OSX (you need to explain things like this)?

> Python 2.7
> Python 3.5
> Python 3.6
> Python 3.7
> Current - which is Python 2.7

So I guess you have installed several framework builds of Python on OSX.

> After navigating to the directory with the package I run the following in my
> terminal
>
> python3 setup.py sdist bdist_wheel
>
> This runs fine and it appears all is correct with no messages or warning.

Okay that's good. But which Python is python3? Is it any of the
framework builds listed above or is it the OSX system Python?

What is the name of the resulting wheel? I expect something like:
numpy-1.15.1-cp27-cp27m-manylinux1_i686.whl

The name of the wheel is important as it tells you which versions of
Python it will work with.

> Then I go to the main user directory
> and pip install directory/packagename

And which pip is this? Does it correspond to the python3 you
mentioned? If the wheel you built contains e.g. any C code then it
will most likely not be usable with other versions of Python. See the
wheel name above...

> It appears the wheel installs in a private/var/ folder
>
> if I change the statement to python3.6 pip install  directory/packagename
> I get an error 2 cannot find director.  I need to change my current python to
> 3.6 and also figure out how to install the package.  I have seen some
> instructions to edit the bash file but before I do this I would like to
> resolve the install issue

The command gives me the following error:

$ python3.6 pip install directory/packagename
python3.6: can't open file 'pip': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

That's because it's trying to run a Python script called pip but there
isn't one in the current directory. I think you want to use the -m
switch to invoke the pip *module* that is connected to the Python that
you run with "python3.6". So then I get:

$ python3.6 -m pip install directory/packagename
Invalid requirement: 'directory/packagename'
It looks like a path. Does it exist ?

This is now running pip for python3.6 but it doesn't work because
directory/packagename isn't really the name of a wheel file or of a
Python project on PyPI. That may fix your problem provided you put the
actual name of the wheel there.

--
Oscar