On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 5:16 AM Mats Wichmann <m...@wichmann.us> wrote:

> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:59:24PM -0500, Avi Gross wrote:
> >> I have been thinking about the thread we have had where the job seemed
> to be
> >> to read in a log file and if some string was found, process the line
> before
> >> it and generate some report. Is that generally correct?
> >
> > If that description is correct, then the solution is trivial: iterate
> > over the file, line by line, keeping the previous line:
> >
> > previous_line = None
> > for current_line in file:
> >     process(current_line, previous_line)
> >     previous_line = current_line

The classic COBOL programmers idiom :-)

That said, sometimes text processing at the shell can precede or even
replace some of these. Of course that assumes Unix/Linux OS.

In this speciic case grep with its -B option can be used to generate a file
that contains only the lines of interest.

HTH

Asokan Pichai