I'm working wtih python 3.7 on Windows 10.
I'm trying to write some code in order to clean up the data in the csv file.
Using spreadsheet language, I want to replace part of a cell ("Basic P1")
with an empty string and write it in the comments cell.
I thought assigning a variable and replacing the string would be a good
idea.

Here is my code:

import csv

with open('somefile') as csvDataFile:
    csvReader = csv.reader(csvDataFile)
    for row in range(100):
        a = "Basic P1"
        str.replace(a, "")
        print(next(csvReader))

I get an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "somefile", line 7, in <module>
    str.replace(a, "")
TypeError: replace() takes at least 2 arguments (1 given)

But I think I have 2 arguments: a being the "old" argument as per the
documentation, "" being the "new" argument as per the documentation.

What am I missing?

--
Roger Lea Scherer
623.255.7719