On 03/05/2019 13:07, mhysnm1...@gmail.com wrote:
All,

I have a list of strings which has been downloaded from my bank. I am trying
to build a program to find the unique string patterns which I want to use
with a dictionary. So I can group the different transactions together. Below
are example unique strings which I have manually extracted from the data.
Everything after the example text is different. I cannot show the full data
due to privacy.

WITHDRAWAL AT HANDYBANK

PAYMENT BY AUTHORITY

WITHDRAWAL BY EFTPOS

WITHDRAWAL MOBILE

DEPOSIT          ACCESSPAY

Note: Some of the entries, have an store name contained in the string
towards the end. For example:

WITHDRAWAL BY EFTPOS 0304479 KMART 1075       CASTLE HILL 24/09

Thus I want to extract the KMART as part of the unique key. As the shown
example transaction always has a number. I was going to use a test condition
for the above to test for the number. Then the next word would be added to
the string for the key.
I tried to use dictionaries and managed to get unique first words. But got
stuck at this point and could not work out how to build a unique keyword
with multiple words. I hope someone can help.

Sean

Please check out https://docs.python.org/3/library/collections.html#collections.defaultdict as I think it's right up your street. Examples are given at the link :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence