On 10/06/2019 17:50, Sai Allu wrote:

> Basically what happened was that I had a few lines in the script like this
> ip = "10.41.17.237"
> print("         Welcome to Squid Monitoring for ", ip)
> print("")
>
> and the output was like this
>
> ("           Welcome to Squid Monitoring for 10.41.17.237")
>
> ("")

Are you sure? Is that a cut n paste or just how you think you remember
it? The reason i ask is that its not what i see and not what I'd expect.

In Python v2 print is a statement which means that Python sees your
first print line like:

print  ("         Welcome to Squid Monitoring for ", "10.41.17.237")

That is it thinks you want it to print a tuple of 2 strings and what I
see as output is:

('         Welcome to Squid Monitoring for ', '10.41.17.237')

Which is a tuple of 2 strings...

Now if I remove the parentheses it looks like:

print "         Welcome to Squid Monitoring for ", "10.41.17.237"

Which is telling Python to print two strings joined by a space.
And I see the output:

         Welcome to Squid Monitoring for  10.41.17.237

And in both cases the second print just prints out an empty
string with no quotes.

Are you sure that's not what you saw?

> P.S. After I upgrade to Python3 this started working.

In Python 3 print is a function so it needs the parentheses.
Without them it will report a syntax error. So for Python 3
your original code is correct.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site