On 15/07/2019 21:28, Mats Wichmann wrote:

>> a float of s.  Of course I can't edit a 4G file in any editor that I
>> have installed, so I have to work with the fact that there is a bit of
>> text in there that isn't quoted.

Try sed, it's on most Unix like OS.
It doesn't read the entire file into memory so file size is not usually
an issue. I've never tried 4G but I have gone over 1GB before with no
issues.

If you have never used sed before its batch oriented so you need to
practice your commands in advance on something like vim or ex then
translate them to a file. But it sounds like it would be a worthwhile
automation step in your workflow. Write once, use often...

> course Python can do that too, by working line-at-a-time, explicitly by
> calling readlines() or implicitly by looping over the file handle. The
> latter looks something like this;
>
> with open("/path/to/datafile", "r") as f:
>     for line in f:
>         if REDFLAGTEXT in line:  # skip these
>             continue
>         do-something-with line

All true, but sed - once you get used to it! - is easier IMHO
and usually faster than Python - it's written in C...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site