On 16/07/19 12:47 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
On 15/07/2019 23:34, Mats Wichmann wrote:

Rule #1: it's all opinion in the end...

Not quite. Different jurisdictions (remember, this list has an international membership!) have different understandings of (even, respect for) copyrights and permissions.

I live in a jurisdiction where whatever I write ("create") is mine - or my employer's. It is not even necessary to claim or "exert" copyright!

However, under the 'different strokes...' rule, I still include a copyright/license statement - if only to avoid misunderstandings in places that have other requirements and to at least 'make an effort' to communicate with those who have no such concepts - either in society, or (un)enshrined in law.

The common practice is that licence/copyright text is included as a
comment in the code, not in a docstring.

I'd second that opinion. I don't like losing the copyright stuff
to a separate file - too easy to get lost. But I certainly don't
want it in my help() output either.

A comment solves both for the downside of some initial scrolling
when reading or editing the file

Some disagreement here.
(but nothing worth fighting-over!)

One line offers plenty of space to exert a claim (such can be very simple and does not need to be lawyer-speak!) which should also refer to the template's/package's external file or web-page. The latter giving as much space for whatever you (or your legal representative(s) ) might want to say!

There can be quite an accumulation of 'paper-work' at the top of modules, which then has to be scrolled-through before we can get stuck-in to function/class/__main__ code - even with an editor's code-folding assistance.

Should it be left to the (far) end of the file? Would it lessen any legal implication?

Aside from possibly irritating 'the good guys', does such really 'stop' a determined rapscallion?
(...desperate student, lazy 'professional', corporate 'raider'...?)

--
Regards =dn