On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:50:57 PM PDT, Mike Galbraith wrote:
On Wed, 2015-04-29 at 13:40 -0700, Daniel Phillips wrote:

That order of magnitude latency difference is striking. It sounds
good, but what does it mean? I see a smaller difference here, maybe
because of running under KVM.

That max_latency thing is flush.

Right, it is just the max run time of all operations, including flush
(dbench's name for fsync I think) which would most probably be the longest
running one. I would like to know how we manage to pull that off. Now
that you mention it, I see a factor of two or so latency win here, not
the order of magnitude that you saw. Maybe KVM introduces some fuzz
for me.

I checked whether fsync = sync is the reason, and no. Well, that goes
on the back burner, we will no doubt figure it out in due course.

Regards,

Daniel