On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:13:02 AM PDT, Pavel Machek wrote:
On Tue 2015-05-26 01:09:59, Daniel Phillips wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 11:13:46 PM PDT, David Lang wrote:
I'm assuming that Rik is talking about whatever has the reference to the
page via one of the methods that he talked about.

This would be a good moment to provide specifics.

Hmm. This seems like a good moment for you to audit whole kernel, to
make sure it does not do stuff you don't expect it to.

You are changing core semantics, stuff that was allowed before is not
allowed now, so it looks like you should do the auditing...

No, we are not changing core semantics. Core semantics remain
unchanged. All these questions are about Tux3 semantics. So I
believe that I am correct in asking for specifics, rather than
general theory. Auditing the whole kernel seems an unreasonable
barrier to merging a filesystem.

You may want to start with video4linux, as Jan pointed out.

I pointed out that the video case Jan mentioned is a race. Is
that right or wrong? And what responsibility does Tux3 have,
if the use case is a race? I would think: do not oops, do not
corrupt the filesystem. Anything else?

Regards,

Daniel