I just made a tool for drawing grass. The grass is
tintable. Sometimes the color selector doesn't show
though, so you might need to temporarily choose some
other tool for changing the colors.

It's best to work from back to front, laying grass
down on some nice dirt. I like light grey tinted
grass for sunny spots, and black tinted grass for
the shadows. Use red for grass that needs water.

During development, I noticed a _huge_ slowdown
when I switched to going pixel by pixel. I needed
to do this to support tinting, both user-selected
and random. (random tinting is needed to keep the
grass from turning into a featureless blob)

Something should be done about this. Maybe have
separate functions, indexed by SDL_Surface type,
for getting and setting the R,G,B,A data? If the
functions were simplified, perhaps by eliminating
all non-32-bit surfaces, inlining them would be OK.

BTW, the bucket mechanism used for the grass can
produce a very smooth random layout. Perhaps the
sparkle magic could use this.