I think that "New" should have a dialog. It would be like
the "Load" dialog, containing the starters and a blank
canvas. This gets the starters out of the "Load" dialog,
reducing confusion. It also makes for easy selection of
a background color. (if the starters don't get moved,
then instead the "New" button should be eliminated in
favor of an all-white starter)

The "Load" dialog has lots of dead space. The obvious
solution is to enlarge the dialog to cover the tools,
tool options, and color selector. There are some other
possibilities though: the toolbar could be active, so
that the "Back" button becomes unneeded. The buttons
could go in the tool option area on the right, or even
in the far right side of the Tux area. Better yet, the
buttons could be eliminated (one click to load a file) if
the highly-dangerous delete feature were moved elsewhere.

BTW, the green labels can simply be removed. Especially
the "Colors" one is useless, but I don't think the other
two are particularly useful either. Little kids simply
click on them instead of reading them, thus receiving no
benefit and a loss of screen space.

Thoughts?