Bob in Jersey wrote:

> But not all TVs are consoles anymore. Plenty of them are tabletoppers (we
> have two of them here). And not all of them need to get the pay or
> on-demand channels, just the same ones we've been getting. And, more
> importantly, they've got to also be able to work with the VCR, and not in
> a watch-same-channel-being-taped way, either.

Assuming a cable company is going to make sure their new boxes work
properly with a VCR is like assuming a new fax machine supports pulse
dialing.

They would like to either sell you a DVR for every room, or, failing that,
home networking equipment so that you can stream recorded programs from
the DVR to a box that doesn't record.  (DirecTV is very close to having
this exact model.)

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>