On Apr 21, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Mark J. wrote:

> ...violate the privacy...

Sheesh...some loaded words there.

I can't speak to the cable and satellite operators, but in my
experience, TiVo has always been forthcoming about their data
collection, and does offer the ability to opt out -- and various third
parties (i.e., hacker types) have verified both the veracity of TiVo's
claims about the data that's being sent back, and the fact that opting
out really does opt someone out.

Disclaimer: I owned a TiVo back when they first started the data
collection, but haven't had one for over a year, so the attention I've
paid to this topic is not quite as close as it once was.

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>