On Jun 19, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Mark J. wrote:

> SBS runs a good amount of foreign-language programming, including
> during the day unsubtitled foreign newscasts.  For years after they
> started running ads, the programing was uninterrupted and the ads ran
> between programs, similar to some state-owned European channels.  In
> the last couple of years, in order to compete with seamless
> presentation on the commercial nets and advertisers complaining that
> people changed channels before their ads came on, they had to start
> interrupting the programs with ads.  I assume that if they're doing
> seamless, that credits are either squeezed back or genericed (and I
> assume that the commercial networks are doing the same thing).

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised -- only squeezed-back credits I
saw were, if I recall correctly, on "The Simpsons" on Ten.

Don't remember seeing any seamless transitions, not even between "The
Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report"; there was always a commercial
break.

Kind of a schizophrenic lineup on SBS:  foreign newscasts (including
"The Newshour with Jim Lehrer"), documentaries about aborigines,
"Corner Gas," "South Park," and "Flight of the Conchords."

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>