On Jun 29, 2009, at 8:57 PM, Brad Beam wrote:

> So for those who know, these questions:
> *Will XM-Sirius (US) convert once I cross the border, or are the two
> wholly incompatible?
> *Is this something I can prepare for with National, or will I find
> myself tuning in CBC Radio One and 2 instead?

You will get exactly the same satellite radio signals north of the
border that you do south of the border.

I actually am a semi-frequent National renter, so I can report the
following:  National doesn't pay for the XM/Sirius subscription, so
the only way you'll have it is if the car was equipped for satellite
radio in the first place, and is new enough to still be in the "free
trial" period.  As far as I know, there's no way to guarantee it with
National (unlike some other rental car companies, where you can
guarantee it at an extra cost).

Now, since you're starting off from Minneapolis -- the MSP airport
location should be big enough to have the "Emerald Aisle" setup, which
means you'll be able to "try out" any car sitting on the "midsize"
aisle (or whichever type of car you've reserved), to see if it has the
satellite radio subscription still active.  Just be prepared to drag
your luggage around from car to car if necessary, and perhaps fighting
off other people who are doing the same thing.  If you can't find
anything you like, you can try putting on your best puppy-dog-eyes
face, finding a National employee, and asking, "Uh, is there anything
else ready to come out of the car wash?"

By the way, don't be fooled -- even if the subscription's not active,
a couple of emergency/information channels will still be available on
the radio, so make sure you can get actual music/talk programming
before you drive off.

(And by the way -- there ARE radio stations other than the CBC in
Canada!)

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>