The first three episodes are presently up on iTunes as free downloads.
I suppose I should preface this by stating I would give my one good
eye to go into space, and I have an affinity for even schlocky
space-based drama (anyone remember "The Cape" starring Corbin Bernsen?
I really liked that series). I also share in the oxymoronic depressing
optimism of the character of Isaac Jaffe in "SportsNight" who, after
speaking cheerily about mankind's eventual journey to Mars, lamented
that he (and I) won't be alive to see it.

I'm also a fan of Ron Livingston from "Office Space," and I find his
general demeanor to be very relatable. Then there is James Parriott,
whose series "Forever Knight" was right up my alley (his other series,
"The Misfits of Science," less so). Add to all of the above a
collection of attractive women who don't seem to have a problem
shedding clothing, and we officially have the makings of a decent
television series.

At this point, I want to kick whomever decided to burn off the concept
during the summer. I freely admit the show lacks the edge of "Rescue
Me" and the tight production values of "Deadwood," but it is somebody
going out on a limb to breath new life into an old formula. Whatever
"the beta" turns out to be (my guess is Yoda in drag), "Defying
Gravity" ironically won't take viewers anywhere they haven't already
been. But, at least for me, the time is right for a series about
dreams and hope and wonder.

Don't misunderstand me. I could as easily list the things the show is
doing poorly. There are gaping plotholes, horrific moments of
overacting, a propensity to turn the show into "Days of Our Lives in
Space," and the inescapable fact that the space ship looks like an
electric nose hair trimmer. However, sometimes you have to surrender
to the silliness and just enjoy the weightless ride.

Someone wants to produce a positive series about an exciting future of
space travel. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt. I just
hope everybody on the Antares remembers the memo about cover sheets
for their TPS reports.

-- 
Kevin M. (RPCV)

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
TV or Not TV .... The Smartest (TV) People!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "TV or Not TV" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/tvornottv?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to