On Oct 14, 2009, at 7:41 PM, Bob in Jersey wrote:

> WTTG, per Paul Farhi at the WaPo, "intends to train its newscasters to
> operate prompters using a series of hand levers and foot pedals, all
> while they're reading the news as it scrolls by"...

"A series of hand levers and foot pedals"?  An actual technician can
operate a prompter with exactly one control, in the form of a handheld
dial:  "stop" in the middle, "forward" to the right, "back" to the
left, variable speed according to how far the dial is turned.

In the summer of 1993, I worked as the script coordinator and prompter
operator for the hourlong 10:00 newscast on then-independent WTOG in
the Tampa Bay area.  (It's now a CW affiliate, and no longer has a
news department.)  I was an unpaid college intern, which shows you how
important they felt the prompter operator job was.  It was an old-
timey prompter, with a camera aimed at a conveyor belt that carried
the paper scripts along.  Newfangled prompters have the same kind of
control -- it's just hooked up to a computer instead of that
ridiculous contraption.

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>