jeffrey marousek wrote:
> then you are not old enough. 30-35 years ago, all remotes clicked.  you
> had to have a lot of money back then to possess one though!  there were 5
> buttons.  one for power, one for channel up, one for channel down, one for
> volume up, and one for volume down.  pretty ingenious for the time.  each
> click created an ultrasonic frequency...no batteries required!

You don't even have to be that old yourself.  My grandparents had a Zenith
console TV into the late 1980s that had this "clicker":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15692...@n00/1524813919/

Note that it has only four buttons.  If I recall correctly, pressing the
volume button by itself meant "mute"; adjusting the volume required
pressing the volume button at the same time as either of the channel
buttons.

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>